What It’s About
Excluded from the crowd, a young sunflower struggles to belong. Young readers will cheer as this delightful character learns the power of courage. Sunni the sunflower’s inner strength teaches children how to overcome conflict with courage and compassion.
This book’s encouraging message inspires self-esteem, courage, compassion, positive values, and social skills in readers of all ages.
Ages 3 – 10
Why I Wrote Stand Tall
I wrote Stand Tall as a tribute to my son’s courage. Although he was badly bullied at school, he refused to be a victim. He also refused to strike back at those who were hurting him. One day he said to me, “I could be like them, Mom. But why should I? It’s not who I am.”
My son’s words taught me a valuable lesson about the power of self-belief and compassion. Instead of perpetuating the cycle of violence, my son chose courage. He stayed true to himself and his values. Years later, he was voted high school president. His ability to Stand Tall served as a model for others and became instrumental in creating a culture of kindness.
Everyone agrees that the statistics are staggering, yet bullying and its consequences are on the rise.
- 43% of all school children experience some kind of bullying by their peers during childhood
- Bullying is the second leading cause of death among 15-29-year olds around the world (2012)
- Bullying has been linked to depression
- Depression has been linked to over 800,000 suicides each year
- Depression is rising by 23% yearly
- Preschoolers are the fastest-growing market for antidepressants
- 1 in 4 children suffers from a mental illness or learning difficulty. These children may be at the highest risk for bullying
A Teaching Story
If you’re worried about your child being bullied, reading a book together is an ideal conversation starter. Whether you’re a parent, grandparent, or teacher, we all have a role to play in preventing bullying and teaching social awareness.
Parents and educators can use Stand Tall to help K-5 children develop effective social awareness and self-management skills. As children learn to deal with difficult emotions, they begin approach conflict with understanding and compassion.
A Healing Story
Stand Tall is also popular among therapists and counseling professionals. In a therapeutic setting, Stand Tall helps clients of all ages who struggle with social anxiety, depression, low-self esteem, alienation and relationship difficulties.